|The Greater Mt. Zion Pentecostal Church is a member church of the Pentecostal Assemblies of the World, Inc. whose international headquarters is in Indianapolis, IN.
* More than 7,000 Churches in the United States, Canada, India, the UK, Germany, Italy, Jamaica, Haiti, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Nigeria, Egypt, Togo, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Australia, New Zealand, and the South Pacific.
|Regionally, the Greater Mt. Zion Pentecostal Church is part of the PA of W’s District 23 and operates under the episcopal jurisdiction of the West Virginia & East Tennessee Council.
* 24 Churches in West Virginia, East Tennesseee, and Southwest Virginia
As an outgrowth of the Asuza Street movement, a fellowship of “pentecostal assemblies” met in October 1907 in Los Angeles, and followed-up with similar meetings in subsequent years. This fellowship became known as the Pentecostal Assemblies of the World. J.J. Frazee (the PA of W’s first General Superintendent) and G.T. Haywood participated in these meetings.
In 1918, Frazee chaired a business meeting in St. Louis that produced a merger between the PA of W and the General Assembly of Apostolic Assemblies (GAAA). The newly merged group adopted the name Pentecostal Assemblies of the World. Later that year, E.W. Doak became Chairman and W.E. Booth-Clibborn, grandson of the Booths who founded the Salvation Army in London, became Secretary.
On January 25, 1919, the PA of W was formally incorporated by E.W. Doak, G.T. Haywood, and D.C.O. Opperman in the state of Indiana. Accordingly, its headquarters was moved from Portland, OR to Indianapolis.
Several members of original PA of W General Board of Elders went on to establish themselves as distinguished pillars of the faith. Among them:
Between its 1919 merger with the GAAA and 1960, no less than 12 major Pentecostal organizations were born directly or indirectly from the womb of the PA of W.
Bishop Samuel J. Grimes was elected Presiding Bishop of the PA of W, following a failed merger with the Apostolic Churches of Jesus Christ in 1931. It was under his leadership, in the mid-1930s, that the West Virginia and East Tennessee Council of churches was established.
Today, the PA of W is one of the world’s largest pentecostal church organizations, featuring churches in all 50 United States and several other nations around the globe. The organization operates the Aenon Bible College in Indianapolis to train ministers and lay members. The school has affiliate institutes in cities around the U.S. and two international affiliates in Liberia- the Samuel Grimes Bible Institute and the Haywood Mission.
Source: The Early Pentecostal Revival; by James L. Tyson; Word Aflame Press 1992